The Student News Site of Yorktown High School

The Voice

The Voice

The Voice

NFL Conference Championship: Ravens vs. Chiefs and Lions vs. 49ers

The conference championship round consisted of two extremely tense yet exciting games. With entry into the Super Bowl on the line, all four teams were playing with intensity not yet seen in this postseason. The No. 1-seed Baltimore Ravens faced off against the No. 3-seed Kansas City Chiefs while the No. 1-seed San Francisco 49ers faced off against the No. 3-seed Detroit Lions.

Ravens vs. Chiefs

Putting the first score on the board, the Chiefs scored a touchdown after the Ravens were forced to punt on their opening drive. Quarterback Patrick Mahomes threw a touchdown pass to tight end Travis Kelce who was able to evade pressure from the Ravens defense. 

After impressively escaping a sack, Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson was able to throw his own touchdown pass to wide receiver Zay Flowers, tying the score.

To start the second quarter, the Chiefs worked their way all the way up to the 2-yard line. From there, running back Isiah Pacheco bulldozed his way through the mass of players and into the endzone for another touchdown, making the score 14-7, Chiefs.

During the Ravens’ next possession, Jackson fumbled the ball, which the Chiefs recovered. However, the Chiefs were forced to make a play decision on fourth-and-1. They decided to go for it but failed to make the yard, starting a trend of a low-scoring game. 

Later, Jackson attempted to make a pass but it was hit into the air by Chiefs Justin Reid. Despite the hit, Jackson was able to catch his own pass for a 13-yard gain. Jackson had achieved the longest self-pass in playoff history and one of only three in NFL history.

Seconds before the first half ended, the Chiefs got the ball back and managed to score a field goal, widening the score to 17-7, Chiefs.

Continuing this fairly low-scoring game, neither team managed to score any points in the third quarter,

In the beginning of the fourth quarter, the Ravens almost managed to score a touchdown. However, Chiefs cornerback L’Jarius Sneed knocked the ball out of Flowers’ hands. Other Chiefs cornerback Trent McDuffie recovered the ball in the endzone for a touchback.

The Ravens were able to get the ball back but, again, they were not able to turn their possession into any points. Jackson threw an interception to Chiefs defensive back Deon Bush in the endzone for yet another touchback.

Despite the Ravens’ many disastrous touchbacks, the Chiefs were never able to turn their possessions into points, keeping the score at a stagnant 17-7, Chiefs.

However, the Ravens were finally able to score a 43-yard field goal, making the score 17-10. Despite their score, they never managed to catch up to the Chiefs.

The Chiefs won the game, moving onto the Super Bowl for the second time in two years. As the winners of last year’s Super Bowl, they were the ones to beat. 

Lions vs. 49ers

An impressive start to the game, Lions wide receiver Jameson Williams ran for 42 yards for the opening touchdown. 

Giving a less impressive opening performance, 49ers kicker Jake Moody missed a 48-yard field goal attempt to the right.  

The Lions continued to use their momentum to score another touchdown. After the team made it just short of the endzone, running back David Montgomery pushed his way through the defense to score.

Needing to make up fourteen points, the 49ers hustled to score their first touchdown. Running back Christian McCaffery managed to do the job for them as he leapt into the endzone.

Unfortunately for the 49ers, quarterback Brock Purdy threw an interception to Lions linebacker Malcolm Rodriguez. The Lions were able to use this extra possession to score a touchdown with running back Jahmyr Gibbs.

At the end of the first half, the Lions managed to squeeze in a final field goal, making the score 24-7 and putting significant pressure on the 49ers going into the second half.

The 49ers started the second half by scoring a field goal, the first step of catching up to the Lions. 

During the 49ers’ next possession, Purdy threw what looked like a deep interception. However, it bounced off Zonovan Knight’s facemask and into the hands of wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk near the endzone. Two plays after his amazing catch, Aiyuk caught another pass in the endzone for a touchdown.

During the Lions’ next possession, running back Jahmyr Gibbs fumbled the ball, which was recovered by the 49ers. With the ball in their hands again, the 49ers were able to tie the score at 24-24 with another touchdown by McCaffery.

By scoring a field goal, the 49ers took their first lead of the game.

Completely dominating the second half, the 49ers were able to score another touchdown. McCaffery was the one to get the job done again, having scored a whopping three touchdowns this game. 

With one minute left in the fourth quarter, the Lions managed to squeeze in one more touchdown. Goff threw a touchdown pass to Williams for his second touchdown of the night. 

However, this touchdown was not enough to win the Lions the game. The final score was 34-31, 49ers. They would move onto the Super Bowl to face the Kansas City Chiefs in football’s 2023-2024 season finale.