New Club at YHS: The American Computer Science League!

This year, Yorktown High School is starting an internationally recognized club: The American Computer Science League. 

American Computer Science League (ACSL) organizes computer programming and computer science contests for K-12 schools, organizations and local groups. Last year, over 700 teams in the United States, Canada, Europe, and Asia participated in this competition series.  

ACSL offers multiple divisions, providing an appropriate challenge for students of varying ages and abilities. An unlimited number of students may compete in each contest. Each season is divided into four contests, testing students on fundamental concepts in computer science, ranging from Number Systems to Boolean Algebra to Digital Electronics. In the upper divisions, each contest also includes a problem to solve by programming using Python, C++ or Java.

The club is a great opportunity for students to test out their coding skills, work collaboratively with others, and enjoy the challenge of problem solving. This is its first year at YHS and it has already garnered the attention of many students. A full team of twelve students has been formed to participate in the contest. “As the advisor of ACSL, I’m excited to see the computer programming skills and talent of our members. These students will have to work collectively to solve problems using the programming language Java against other teams around the world. I look forward to the programming creativity and group effort that this competition will bring out of them.” states Mr. Lopez.