Class of 2023 Valedictorian: Ashley Song

An Interview

What are you looking forward to the most after high school?

I’m definitely looking forward to college the most. Not only am I planning to major in applied math at Rice University, but I’m also hoping to make many more lifelong friends and enjoy living in Houston’s urban setting.

Where do you see yourselves in 10 years?

I don’t know, really. I’m open to a lot of career options, ranging from being a professor to being a data scientist. Sometimes, I even consider being a lawyer, in which case I’ll pursue a second major in history, philosophy, or something along the lines of that. Other than that, however, I cannot predict the future, so I’ll see what happens.

Which faculty member do you believe impacted you the most?

All my teachers are wonderful, so let me think. Perhaps my answer is Mr. Egan. I really enjoyed his AP European History class last year, and I often recommend my friends to consider taking it. Mr. Egan is outgoing, friendly, and hilarious, and you can tell he genuinely cares about teaching students history.

What was the best piece of advice you have for the younger classes?

Be open to making new friends and taking new opportunities. YHS has a lot of great students and faculty, so you might make a wonderful friend, take an interesting class, or find an extracurricular activity that you want to continue in college. Because of this, I’ve made so many amazing friends and taken part in so many great classes and extracurricular activities at YHS.

What was the most rewarding thing you did in high school?

Interestingly enough, it was quite rewarding to write three rap songs last year, one for AP U.S. History and two for AP European History. I’d like to say they were pretty successful, and the feeling of accomplishment was somewhat similar and somewhat different from that of winning competitions and being admitted into certain programs.

If you could switch lives with a faculty member, who would you choose?

That’s a difficult question. If we’re talking exclusively about which class to teach, I’ll teach math, so I’ll probably choose to switch lives with Ms. Ferraguzzi. I enjoyed learning about mathematical induction and the proofs in her class last year.

What is your favorite thing about YHS? What will you miss the most?

I’m definitely going to miss my friends the most. We’ve had a lot of wonderful memories together, like hanging out at Starbucks and Uncle Giuseppe’s, making friendship bracelets, going to the school dances, fencing with cardboard sticks, camping in a friend’s backyard, and having fun conversations in the cafeteria, the library, anywhere, really.