Do clothes really just come down to comfort or do the trends play a role too? The Yorktown community seems to think they do!

“Fashion just doesn’t mean that much to me- I’d wear pretty much the same outfit every single day if I could.” states former Yorktown student Sophia DiFrancia. With many agreeing with Sophia’s thought process, between perfectly oversized crewnecks, a hoodie with a huge hood and sweatpants with conveniently deep pockets. it becomes abundantly clear that the main component with clothing solely comes down to comfort. With this being said it is obvious that a great number of Yorktown students and staff members agree that fashion is more about dressing to be comfortable, and less about dressing to impress.

However, comfortable clothing does not always mean baggy and seemingly unprofessional clothing. But it can also mean being comfortable in the way you present yourself. Mrs. Soohoo, an English teacher at Yorktown High School believes, “our outfits create first impressions.” So, not only does physical comfort count, but so does the way your clothes make you feel while you’re wearing them. It would be just as hard to feel professional in a pair of sweatpants than to lounge in a formal suit or dress. This is why Mrs. Soohoo also adds, “I want to be comfortable but I also want to look professional.” It can definitely be challenging at times to find an outfit that’s both comfortable and professional, but not impossible!

This can also be the reason for having a wide range of clothing in your closet. From a casual and relaxed pair of ripped mom jeans to a pair of formal black slacks, every occasion calls for a different type of outfit. Mrs. Sudol, one of the librarians at Yorktown High School says her clothes are “more for function and comfort.” Many students at Yorktown High School agree with Mrs. Sudol and that they tend to wear a pair of sweatpants for gym class and save their jeans for other days. This is why Sophia DiFrancia also adds, “I used to plan my outfits around what days I had gym- usually wearing sweatpants instead of jeans and making sure it worked with sneakers.” Another student who wanted to remain anonymous says, “jeans may look nicer but sweatpants are definitely more comfortable.” With this being said it is now clear that making sure you are comfortable is a huge factor when deciding what you are going to wear.

Another factor when deciding what outfit you want to wear are the current trends that are in right now. Wearing trendy clothes can make any piece of clothing comfortable and stylish all at the same time. Take sweatpants for instance. Sweatpants make any outfit extremely casual. But wearing more trendy clothes like cargo sweatpants makes the outfit  more stylish and less all about comfort. Lilly Cesarz, a former Yorktown student states, “I wear a lot of different types of clothing but mainly baggy jeans and oversized t-shirts.” Baggy jeans and a t-shirt seems like a casual outfit, but since oversized clothes are the trend, this outfit is now stylish and comfortable.

This goes to show how clothing can accomplish being stylish, comfortable, professional and more all at the same time.