A New Olympic Event: Breakdancing

AFP+Photo%2FJung+Yeon-Je

AFP Photo/Jung Yeon-Je

A new sport has just been announced to debut at the 2024 Summer Olympics– breakdancing. This addition has caused many mixed reactions from people; some support the decision while others dislike it. According to a USA TODAY article, the International Olympic Committee President, Thomas Bach, praised the addition of this sport as a way to make the summer games “more gender balanced, more youthful and more urban.” Many people are excited about the addition of breakdancing because they believe it’s a great opportunity for the sport to be showcased. Also, they are happy to see how it has evolved over the years. The President of the World Dance Sport Federation, Shawn Tay, even commented on the Olympic addition. He stated, “Today is a historic occasion, not only for b-boys and b-girls but for all dancers around the world. It was a true team effort to get to this moment and we will redouble our efforts in the lead-up to the Olympic Games to make sure the breaking competition at Paris 2024 will be unforgettable.”

Although many people were content with the sport being added, there were many people that disliked and disagreed with the addition. A Casino article analyzed the public’s reactions, and found that 45%  of people felt sad and 27% felt angry, out of 22,000 surveyed people. In total, 72% of the reactions were negative. On Twitter, many people stated how they were angry that breakdancing became an Olympic sport before other sports like MMA, squash, and bowling. There were also many claims that the Olympics have become a mockery by adding sports like breakdancing. Overall, there are various opinions regarding the debut of breakdancing at the 2024 Summer Olympics. It seems that the public will have to wait until 2024 before seeing how the addition turns out.