Looking Back at Freshman Year

Looking Back at Freshman Year

As we’re finally nearing the end of freshman year, it has just hit me that we aren’t the new kids in the school anymore. Looking back, there is so much about ourselves and about our outlook on life that has drastically changed. We entered high school roughly nine months ago and since then, we’ve come a long way learning so much about ourselves.

The first couple of weeks of freshman year were pretty tough. As exciting as the start was, for many of us it was a big adjustment to the new classes, teachers, and the new school to navigate. However, we started learning to adjust and welcome the spontaneity of our world. It takes time to accept that we cannot control everything we wish we could. Freshman year began to teach us that. Although we may have felt lost and uncomfortable in the beginning, especially after coming back to school after a global pandemic, we gave it some time and we’ve come a long way since then. With the help and guidance of the upperclassmen and our teachers, all of us found our niche at the high school.

We experienced a new level of independence and freedom to do as we please, while learning how to manage that with our new responsibilities. Most of us took advantage of the wealth of opportunities, from new clubs and organizations to sports teams and other activities. Throughout this process, we discovered new things about ourselves and developed unique interests.  New classes and involvement in new activities led us to form new friendships that we may not have considered before and strengthen older ones.

We learned to prioritize our time in and outside of the classroom. Balancing schoolwork with extracurriculars and a social life seemed difficult at first, but we soon got the hang of it and successfully made it through the year. Better understanding the concept of balance, we’ve learned that sometimes it’s okay to put yourself first rather than letting stress take over.

Looking back, the start of the high school experience was an exciting time. There’s no doubt that we all faced our own fair share of challenges but we have overcome these obstacles, having so much fun along the way. We made some unforgettable memories with our friends at various school events and learned a lot about ourselves, our interests, and how we wanted to contribute to your high school community. Freshman year was the stepping stone to our high school journey and we embraced this time of great change with open arms. 

There’s a popular saying that says you should live for today and embrace the time you’re in. If you can always be genuine and honest to yourself and the people around you, then it makes it easy to be happy and succeed. It’s pointless to spend a lot of time worrying about the future, about things you can’t control. By taking a breath and appreciating the moment, you allow yourself to tackle big tasks one step at a time.

For now, let’s be present in the moment and take some time to reflect on how far we’ve come.  All in all, freshman year was a roller coaster of mistakes and lessons, but I can honestly say that I cannot wait for another three years of growing into the person that I want to be. Let’s try new things and make new memories with our friends to add to our unforgettable high school experiences. As Dr. Suess famously said, “You’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.”