Categories:

Another Day, Another Honor for Senior Julia Whalen

Julia Whalen smiles after finding out she is the Class of 2024 Valedictorian.
Mr. DeGennaro

Yorktown High School senior and Class of 2024 valedictorian Julia Whalen has earned a position on a list of the nation’s brightest high school students as a winner of both the National Honor Society’s scholarship and the National Merit Scholarship.

Chosen from nearly 17,000 applicants, the National Honor Society (NHS) awards over $2 million in scholarships to 600 NHS students. “Each winner has gone above and beyond to excel academically and lift up their communities through selfless service and leadership,” said National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP) CEO Ronn Nozoe. “Their actions today exemplify the incredible leaders they are.” The scholarships recognize students who exemplify the four pillars of NHS membership: scholarship, service, leadership, and character. Whalen was chosen for her outstanding achievements and exceptional leadership. 

“When I found out that I had won the National Honor Society Scholarship, I was extremely surprised,” Whalen remarks. “The application for this scholarship was rather long and arduous, so I was glad that my hours of hard work on it were rewarded!”

In addition to the National Honor Society Scholarship ($3,200), Whalen also won the National Merit Scholarship, granting her an additional $2,500 scholarship. 

Whalen was chosen from a talent pool of more than 15,000 National Merit Finalists from around the country in the 2024 National Merit Scholarship Program. These scholarship winners were the finalists in each state judged to have the strongest combination of accomplishments, skills, and potential for success.

Whalen’s achievements, recognitions, and awards are prolific as a YHS student. An accomplished musician and valedictorian of the class of 2024, Whalen has dedicated herself not only to academic excellence but also to service and leadership.

“Service has been a significant part of my experience at YHS,” Whalen explains. “I’ve found fulfillment in tutoring and mentorship, particularly in the writing center where I help edit essays, ensuring each student’s work reflects their best effort. Academic challenges are fun, but I believe in helping others enjoy learning by offering assistance in subjects like math and essay writing.”

In addition to her service, Whalen has a passion for writing and creativity. Whether through creative writing or historical analysis, she dedicates her free time to honing her skills. Her love for storytelling ignited during the summer after 10th grade, leading her to pen a 176-page short story. She hopes to one day connect this passion to her love of research and “make [her] own contribution to the canon of great historical texts.”

Whalen’s involvement in music is equally impressive. She has participated in numerous musical ensembles like Greater Westchester Youth Orchestra, and chamber groups at the Bennett Conservatory of Music. She has achieved recognition through NYSSMA, qualifying for the Area All-State Band in both her junior and senior years. As Band Librarian, she has enhanced organization and accessibility to music resources in the school while mentoring younger students to foster their musical growth. Her favorite part of Band is the “opportunity to lead guided practices and help younger students gain confidence.”

“This fall, I’m attending Bowdoin College with a planned History major, but I’m also considering a minor in Francophone Studies, Classics, Literature, or Environmental Policy,” Whalen shares. “I’m looking forward to traveling abroad in college to conduct historical research that will improve the field.”

Congratulations on your impressive achievements and we wish you the best of luck in all your future endeavors!

Donate to The Voice

Your donation will support the student journalists of Yorktown High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.