Global Solutions: The Perfect Club For You

Logo designed by Madeline Chen

Logo designed by Madeline Chen

To freshmen and all who are looking for a club to join– asking around for those that are low commitment, or desperately looking on the school website for what you think will ¨look good¨– you might notice something different. 

This year there’s another club you can join– one named, Global Solutions. This club by no means involves the least work, but it does, from my perspective, still offer you many immense benefits, most notably, the opportunity to make a difference in your community and in your world, without even leaving your own home. Indeed, when one looks at the world and the crises that are unfolding, it becomes blatantly clear that there is always someone, somewhere who is suffering. But, while most of us feel the urge to help, we also tend to ask ourselves, “What can we do?” While it is valid to note that our capabilities are indeed confined, how we can better our global community is by no means obsolete. So, if you have been an aspiring humanitarian since middle school, or your interest has just piqued from my introduction, continue reading, and, if possible, consider joining one of Yorktown’s newest clubs. 

While the club’s official name, Global Solutions, may give some indication of what its purpose is, there is also some ambiguity as to what one may be asked to do as a member. In other words, what is the purpose of this club, and what can one expect? As the club’s founders, my friends and I had to venture on our own introspective journey when thinking about what we wanted our club to accomplish. This journey, which began with a late-spring facetime call, was prompted by a simple conversation about current events and the seemingly dire state of our country, and more broadly, the wider world. Not only was the pandemic raging across the globe, but the impacts of various natural disasters were afflicting vast communities, rendering many unable to survive. Yet, we too had that same question that many fledgling high school students ask themselves, ¨What could we do?¨ After watching reports of the pandemic’s rampage on communities far and wide, especially those which were already crippled with poverty, my friends and I realized that while we cannot shelter one from the effects of poverty, any form of aid that we can give has the potential to make a difference. So, we started with what we knew – how to make blankets. Something small, but fundamental, a blanket, can impact someone’s life and reassure them that someone, somewhere in the world is acknowledging their loss and valuing their well-being. Indeed, it is this ability to offer one comfort and hope that remains at the forefront of our mission and purpose. For children who see the colorful animal-themed prints of our fleece blankets, or parents who take comfort in knowing that there is one less thing to worry about, having the privilege to be a part of a club that does such good has been the highlight of my high school career and stands as a chapter of my life that I hope you will want to partake in and continue on for yourself.