The Student News Site of Yorktown High School

The Voice

The Voice

The Voice

Is Valentine’s Day just for lovers? Yorktown students say no!

“Valentine’s Day is a time to celebrate all your loved ones, from friends to family,” says Lea Bryant, a sophomore at Yorktown High School. This is a common opinion across the board. Many people in the Yorktown High School community believe that by including friends and family to the celebration of couples, it invites even more people who are now able to celebrate the holiday, and that’s all that matters! 

But what should you get your valentine on Valentine’s Day? Of course there’s the classic heart shaped case of chocolates, a beautiful bouquet of red roses, or even an expensive piece of jewelry such as a pair of earrings or a necklace. But are those traditional ideas really the ideal gifts for the person you love, or would a more personalized and individualized gift be the better route?  Yorktown staff member Sunny Killeen states, “Something that’s thoughtful like making dinner.” 

While this is a fantastic idea, another fun option popular with the Yorktown High School students is singing grams. This is where groups of cheerful students go from classroom to classroom singing and dancing to the most upbeat songs around their friends. They wear bright pink outfits and accessories to bring out the smiles on everybody’s face. 

These singing grams are definitely meant more for your friends rather than your partner, further proving the idea that at Yorktown High School, Valentine’s Day is celebrated amongst everyone. 

So this being said, there’s no doubt that candies and flowers are a great gift option, but they definitely aren’t the only option when showing your gratitude for another person.

While on the topic of what to get your valentine, is Valentine’s Day really that good of a holiday? Would we miss it if we cut it out completely? Well Marshall Garrido, a junior at Yorktown High School believes that, “It’s very fun. I got chocolate, which is really nice!” 

Marshall’s sentiment is most likely agreed upon by many. A lot of people don’t care what the holiday is necessarily about; they like to focus more on receiving gifts or giving gifts to their friends and loved ones. 

So aside from the question of who should celebrate the day, we can all agree that getting gifts on Valentine’s day is one of the best parts of the holiday, along with spending quality time with the ones who you love and showing your appreciation in a fun and loving way.

Donate to The Voice

Activate Search